Monday 19 April 2010

Mysterious Wood An embroidery sample

Starting points:

Painting by Van Gogh of "Undergrowth with two figures"
A painting which appeals not only visually but makes you want to reach out and touch the undergrowth.
Own drawing
Translated into simple lines and knots for undergrowth. With an image in my memory of birch woods around my croft over this winter. Snow with texture and shape of undergrowth seen in white and pastel blue and pink. Moonlight added from my imagination !



Colours from sample bag - white silver maroon grey
mood wanted -mysterious, ethereal

Poem remembered from who knows when - just one line came to me "But I have miles to go before I sleep "
Looked it up and it comes from Robert Frost "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening "
Seems to fit the theme but also the sense that never having embroidered before I feel I too have miles and miles to go ...
Decided to incorporate 2 lines from the poem - one line so that it looks like tree bark and the other to speak of the journey.
Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening - Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake,
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.






No comments: