Tuesday 14 September 2010

manipulating fabric etc - what have I achieved ?

First and foremost I want to say that with specific comments from Sarah and a friend I am feeling more comfortable both with a design process and with experimentation.
I loved working with fabric directly - it felt like a dream I have of being able to make colour flow.
The collage work felt more uncomfortable , trying to put several techniques and ideas together, but it is something I have suprised myself with and feel I would like to try again (and again and again?..)
I suppose there is also a longing to create pieces with shape and a 3 d quality and I don't feel I achieved that as much as I would like to in either piece. Maybe the collage needs me to layer surfaces more. The folded, pleated fabric might give me that 3 d sense as part of a whole garment?
I did enjoy the drawing process far more this time but with the collage piece after drawing and cutting out the 3 seed templates I still found a need to play with the fabric and papers directly and the end piece was different from my initial sketches.
I always thought stitch and collage would not be for me as I love working with wools and want to develop a weaving technique. However I have caught a bubble of excitement over these weeks and I can't see that going away.

I was limited with access to fabric stores here and as I have been working on this section over a busy summer period in the shop and on the croft I adapted the collection of fabrics section. Instead I collected together recent furnishing fabrics I had and that friends could spare and used these instead, both to look at and group together.

No comments: