Wednesday 1 September 2010

printing and fabric dyes







There were so many new things in this section that I actually felt a bit overwhelmed and have had to remind myself that small acorns do grow into larger trees.
So here's an analysis of things tried out
silk painting - I bought a small child's kit just to have a go
like the fluidity of feel and tried blue and orange with gold gutta - some leakage through gutta even though I thought I had been careful.
Tried also stencilling onto silk but was unhappy with result as I had not wanted to use gutta on this occasion.
Lino cut - never done this before and my first effort with using household small chisel to make marks was fine as a bark rubbing effect but not much else. Sent for some lino cutting blades and a clearer image emerged.
Bubble wrap block to emulate seaweed and fronds - liked this and used it quite well
Transfer of photos - Once the complex cloth was underway I chose a few photos I had taken from the area around our two lochs and some historical photos and used dylon image transfer medium - pleased to see something happen !
sponge block print - fun quick effective
bark / water ripple rubbings - once I moved away from the fabric paints onto fabric oil crayons this was much more freeing in terms of rubbings and blending of colours
stencils of whelk shell and viking ship heads - yes with a mixture of the crayons and paint this went well
free hand spirals with crayon - just fun
relief print in shape of one of pieces of bone using string onto card - worked well and gave illusion of celtic jewellery patterns which was surprising.
perspex plate print - brushed paint onto plate and made wave patterns with blunt end of a brush. Laid this onto fabric. Great for building up layers of colour and texture.



No comments: