Wednesday 1 December 2010

Devore and velvet

I came across some work by textile artist Dionne Swift and sent for her instructional dvd on how to use the devore technique. I wanted to explore this as part of the exploration of negative imagery / shadows/ reverse applique. Velvet is , along with silk, my favourite fabric so although I tried samples in satin and cotton, the velvet stole my heart and resulted in many sample pieces. I tried both procion dye technique and the double dye technique from Fibrecrafts which involved using 2 types of dye for silk and viscous in the same dye pan.
This exploration alongside my continuing love of geological formations led to an experiment of pleating some velvet to look like rock formation. Although it was a quick trial piece this is something I will return to. At the very least the shop now has a new line in for Christmas as several scarves emerged from the fun.

No comments: