Wednesday 1 December 2010

samples of furnishing fabric and collage

I was given some samples of furnishing fabrics by a local shop. These were in a very limited range of style and colour but I used them to put together some shapes and colours to reflect some images I had chosen and done some sketches for. The images range from frozen ice formations to an oil painting of the Highlands, to photos of sand and sea, an ancient egg decorated from West Africa and a block printed piece of fabric. I know on reflection I shouldn't have restricted myself to using the fabric samples I was given as the range of texture and colour didn't always capture what I was looking for. However given the context of the assignment the process got me thinking and appreciating what I will look for in the future. Sadly the samples were all off cuts from long ago so there was no clue to their fibre content or make but I have included small swatches of them for reference.

No comments: