Wednesday 1 December 2010

plastic bags and an art journal

I decided to use up the few remaining white plastic bags here by cutting off the shop logo and then fusing layers of them together with an iron.
Using alcohol inks the bags were coloured with autumnal tones and when dried cut up into patchwork like pieces.
The arrival of a new puppy at the croft has seen much activity as he has explored house and croft. However with all such explorations there are casualties and so it was with a hardback book. Fortunately not a great favourite, so off came the cover and I rebound it with some folded watercolour papers. These will be used as an art journal experiment.
The plastic pieces were applied to the cover, inside and out, using a gel medium. When dried I applied soft light modelling paste over the spine in the form of a tree trunk. This was coloured with inks and small embellishments attached. the final addition was a stamped image of skeleton leaves with ink over which I applied some embossing powder. The same application was made to initial the cover with the letter F. This is my first book made, first time I tried to recycle plastic bags in this way etc etc
The many layered effect and the texture and dimension of the modelling paste pleased me. All that remains is to fill the pages over the winter months and to keep the book away from the puppy !!

No comments: