Sunday 15 August 2010

building a visual vocabulary - starting off









































































What a treat the BBC producing a programme about Matisse which was totally inspiring and also made me weep to see the man's humility at the end of his life both using cut out paper forms from his death bed and seeing the beautiful chapel he designed with the light filled windows.

Frustratingly I have been unable to locate any books to follow up on this as yet. I'll have to haunt 2nd hand book sites a little longer.

I followed the instructions for the construction of coloured squares and found it a bit difficult with limited coloured papers available to me here, to create the effects the exercise were perhaps pointing me to. These exercises have made more sense to me later on in the process, after reading Itten.

Mixing colours and trying to capture colours to match a picture or piece of fabric was harder than I had thought it would be. I realise I am more comfortable with dyeing colours for myself than using paints and crayons. Just the familiarity of dyes I guess.


The section on mood and colour has just brought into my conscious thinking something I guess I have lived with and known. It is helpful to think more deeply about the effect of colour on others. I know from having arranged the shop into coloured theme areas both how some colour immediately draws one person to it whilst others will never visit it.



I have found my usual attraction to certain colours change and change again over these weeks, as the grief journey takes me into relatively unfamiliar places. However the soft greys of a wet summer with mists most days over the loch have been a gentle, returning visual space for me.



Creating colour bags is a new idea to me and has been very constructive.



























































































No comments: