Sunday 15 August 2010

treasured textile piece







Here is the textile piece I have chosen to look at with fresh eyes. It has been in my home for 1o years and I have used it as a shawl and as a throw over a table. The piece measures 100cm x 15o cm. It came from Marseilles, from a market stall and whilst I guess, from the uniformity of design and weave, that it is machine manufactured, I loved its sense of light, colour and movement from the ikat patterning. It is made of cotton but I have no idea where it was manufactured. It cost me very little and has brought fun and light to me.

Trying to replicate the piece with water colours was disappointing as introducing elements of black onto the yellow deadened the sketch , whereas the actual material holds the contrast of light and dark well without turning the yellow into a dull colour. Also the fabric has gold threads running throught it which catch and reflect light and this was not something I could sketch in. I tried again with coloured pastels and the colours were purer but texturally wrong !! However all good practice and experience.










































































No comments: