Saturday 21 August 2010

silk paper bowl with vanishing embroidery technique


I wanted to try the technique of machine embroidery onto a vanishing background. However after the effort of french knots and colour I yearned for neutrality and also with limited colours available in machine thread here - neutral it was !
I had been aware of not having nice papers as a basis for design so having found some long forgotten silk mawata caps in a box I decided to make paper for myself. I moulded this over a large glass bowl, interlacing it with skeletal leaves and silver threads.
When I had constructed the fabric this was applied to the outside of the paper bowl. I wish I had left well alone at that point as the piece was translucent and I was pleased.
However practical considerations such as durability and the ability to repel dust took over and I applied pva and then colourless varnish. This left the piece which had had structure and tension - ie held bowl shape well, much more pliable. Some colour change into cream / sepia took place as well.
I was left a little disappointed with the end result. However it was all an enjoyable learning process and although the piece is not an exploration of colour as such, I have enclosed it for interest.









No comments: