Monday 16 August 2010

pointillism or an obsession with French Knots





After creating samples in pastel shades and French Knots I came across some textiles from the Glasgow School of Art museum and was drawn to a panel created by Margaret MacDonald 1904 - 8



The original works are in shades of yellow teraccotta and pink / peach with black accents





I had made some sketches and then found I was creating the embroidery whilst arranging a funeral etc and the colours transmuted without my really knowing why.


The effect is completely different and whilst I think I haven't got the balance and maybe position of the colours right I enjoyed creating this piece enormously. (see also my comments under Itten in bibliography 1)This was a miracle since it took me hours to even create a convincing French Knot ! But once started they became addictive.

















No comments: